Monday, January 30, 2012

Quote of the Day - An Anti-Immigrant Bigot's View on a Teen Suicide

Some time ago I wrote about the sad suicide death of Joaquin Luna (pictured at right) who was only 18 years old. Luna was the child of illegal immigrants and feared that he'd be deported and never achieve his dreams. Today a comment was left on the blog by a "Jack Reylan" that in my opinion shows the moral sickness of the far right in this country. While I tried to better identify the author of the comment, I was met with a circular set of links that never allowed me to clearly identify the author. I did find a number of knuckle dragging comments attributed to the same individual on a number of blogs. I did not publish the comment outright because I did not want to be thought to subscribe to the sickness of the comment. However, it is important in my view that people see the truly ugly face and mindset of the far right in this country. Here's the comment left in connection with the tragic suicide death of an 18 year old:

I will not deny that foreign students can be bright, but faculty exaggerate their brilliance because foreign students are servile in doing work and favors for faculty and not demanding that professors actually earn their tuition keep. Moreover, faculty like that foreign students are either afraid, complicit or morally ambivalent about the immoral behavior of professors. In many cases they are more likely to share the professors' anti-Americanism than American students.

Actually, I had to correct a couple of spelling errors in the comment. I guess that's typical of the bigoted and ignorant far right elements in this country. What truly strikes me the most - and disgusts me the most - is the utter inability of the comment author to see any shred of shared humanity with Joaquin Luna or any other illegal immigrants or their children. If anyone is a threat to America, it's not Luna and those like him who seek to achieve the American Dream, but rather it's the "Jack Reylan's" in this country. Reylan - or whatever his/her real name may be - make me truly ashamed to be an American. And, if there is a God and a Hell, I suspect that it's folks like "Reylan" who have reserved seats.

No comments: