Monday, September 26, 2011

Reflections of a Gay Father


Two weeks ago when the boyfriend and I were in New York City we saw the Broadway show "Priscilla Queen of the Desert." At the time I mentioned a line in the show that hit home with me in a special way. It was the scene in the show when the character Tick says that marrying and fathering a son was "the best mistake that I ever made." With my three wonderful children, I feel that way every day notwithstanding the psychological hell of my years in the closet and the arduous aspects of my coming out journey. I guess I am feeling particularly sensitive because it's my son's birthday today. Since he lives in Washington State (the photo above is from a couple years ago when he hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, finishing the 2,176 mile trek on my birthday) the distance between us has made me all the more conscious of his special day. I hope he knows he's in my heart and mind always. Happy Birthday, son!!

1 comment:

JustAMike said...

Michael, I'm with you on this! I think being a gay father adds a unique and special dimension to our lives that no one else can experience. I've often been asked if I regret waiting until middle age to accept my sexual orientation. Hell no! Had I been out as a young man i would never have had the three wonderful sons that I have now. I feel absolutely enriched by having them in my life! Thanks for the post.
Mike