Saturday, August 13, 2011

Traveling with Pets

UPDATED: I added a photo of the dogs and a photo of their stroller. Amazingly, the were perfectly well behaved.
*
Except for going to my late mother's place in Charlottesville to visit, the boyfriend and I have never traveled with our two dogs - after this trip so far, I know why. It's as bad as traveling with small children! Most of the drive from Hampton to Somerset Pennsylvania is on the Interstate or Pennsylvania Turnpike other than a portion of the stretch from Fredericksburg, Virginia to Winchester, Virginia. That portion is typical Piedmont with rolling hills and curving roads - all of which cause Bandit, the bigger dog to blow lunch in the back seat (thank God for leather seats). We stopped at a gas station to vacuum up the mess and Sassy, the smaller dog got so excited by the noise and the boyfriend getting out of the car that she blew lunch on me.

Having finally arrived in Somerset, the pre-reunion dinner went well and upon returning to the hotel that allows pets, we decided we'd run over to friends briefly leaving the dogs at the room with treats, water and the TV on for background noise. We had not been at our friend's house even 20 minutes when the boyfriend received a call from the hotel that the natives were raising a ruckus and misbehaving themselves. We quickly returned to find two canine actors of the first order pretending to be contrite and acting as if they knew nothing about what the problem had been. As I said, just like my days of traveling when my kids were little.

P.S. We are going to the big antique festival with the dogs in their crate/stroller that the boyfriend brought with us. I know - way too gay!




No comments: