Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Scottish Cycling Champion Graeme Obree Comes Out

Another major UK sports figure has come out adding the the demolition of the stereotype fanned by the professional Christian set and others that gays are not athletic and/or are feminine in their demeanor. This time, the sports star coming out is former world champion cyclist Graeme Obree (pictured at left). I identify with Obree because he stayed in the closet for many years because he had been brainwashed as I had been to think that "Being homosexual was so unthinkable that you just wouldn't be gay." Like myself, he was in therapy for years and attempted suicide before finding a reconciliation with who he is. I hope that he can now continue to find a peace and self-acceptance as I have been ultimately been able to do. I also hope that as more figures like Obree come out, it will ease the path for following generations. It continues to enrage me that individuals are taught to hold self-hate just so that the psychologically disturbed Christianists and the whore like professional Christian set can feel good about themselves. Here are some highlights from the Advocate on this story:
*
Former world champion cyclist Graeme Obree says that after attempts to commit suicide and years of therapy, he is finally comfortable being an out gay man. Obree was raised during a time when it seemed better to be "dead than gay," so he suppressed his feelings, he told
The Scottish Sun.
*
"I was brought up by a war generation," he said. "They grew up when gay people were put in jail. Being homosexual was so unthinkable that you just wouldn't be gay. I'd no inkling about anything, I just closed down."
*
In 2005, Obree began to go to a psychologist who helped him realize he had been suppressing his emotions for years.
He eventually came out to his family, including his wife.
*
I wish Obree well and hope that he finds the peace that so long eluded him.

No comments: