Sunday, January 16, 2011

Key West - Escape to Paradise

As regular readers know, it has been a rough week and a half to two weeks for me with the loss of my mother. What has helped me go on emotionally and psychologically more than anything else is the boyfriend, my youngest daughter and my "extended gay family," including readers who have been wonderfully supportive. Would that some of my siblings were as supportive. I have very much needed a get away and the annual pilgrimage if you will to Key West has been a life saver. As is the norm, there are a number of "the usual suspects" from Hampton on the trip and we have connected with friends who likewise visit this same week each year and also stay at the Oasis on Fleming Street abut four blocks off of Duval Street. Today was a lazy day that included hanging out by the pool - see the bottom photo below. Then we went to "tea dance' at La Te Da's - where gays, straight retirees, and others have a great time - where we saw Christian Slater hanging out and listening to the dance music.
*
[A]fter tea dance, we went to a new restaurant just off of Duval called Fin where we experienced a beautiful decor, wonderful food and a great (and great looking) wait staff (see the photo above). For anyone planning a visit to Key West, I recommend trying out Fin. And for those who have never visited this wonderful island paradise, I cannot recommend it enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy and try to get some peace of mind as well as a well deserved rest.

gdouglasw said...

Eecch! And we're here experiencing 10^ ice threat in Pittsburgh.

Glad you've gotten a respit.


Douglas