Saturday, January 08, 2011

Death, Funerals and Family Dysfunction

People say that death brings out the worse aspects of families and mine is sadly no exception. Many people have asked for details on my mother's funeral so that they could pay their respects, send flowers or whatever they might want to do to honor my mother's memory. Thus, I am writing to update these friends and wonderfully supportive readers on the situation. After much thought and as a result of family confrontations that I do not want to elaborate upon, I will be having a separate memorial service at a date and location later in the month that will be disclosed once the plans are finalized.
*
Although I will not be attending either one, there will also a Catholic funeral mass in Charlottesville on January 15, 2011 and a grave side service on January 16, 2011, in Virginia Beach. In lieu of flowers friends and readers are welcomed to make a donation in memory/honor of my mother, Marion Hibben Phelps Hamar to a charity of their choice. One charity that I might suggest is Hospice House of the Piedmont (pictured above) where my mother spent her last few days. Contact information is as follows:
*
Hospice of the Piedmont
675 Peter Jefferson Parkway, Suite 300
Charlottesville, VA 22911

If anyone does decide to make a donation, include my mother's name and use my name and office address as the point of notification. Donations can be made online here.

No comments: