Monday, December 27, 2010

The Pain and Heartache of Watching One's Parents Failing

Much of my moodiness and general funk today (and yesterday) stemmed from my displeasure over the holiday plans with my family and children going to Hell in a hand basket due to the freak snow storm that swept over the area yesterday. The planned get together at our house was canceled and dinner tonight with my children likewise went down the toilet figuratively speaking. After work this evening - yes, I did actually make it to the office - I braved the absolutely horrible snow and ice covered roads in Norfolk and Virginia Beach to go by sister's home to see my mother before my sister takes her back to Chralottesville tomorrow.
*
Sadly, my mother seems to be steadily failing in heath compared to even a few months ago and it rips me apart emotionally to see her a shadow of her former self (the photo above is her as a young woman) and obviously undergoing pain and discomfort. She has contended with cancer for over 13 years and combined with a stroke back in January, it is clearly taking its toll on her. Where things are ultimately headed unfortunately seems certain and it's hard to deal with. Particularly when one is a control freak such as yours truly. When I cannot "fix it" or "find a solution" I do not handle it well and the boyfriend has been wonderful in dealing with my occasional funks.
*
The obvious lesson is to value those you love each and every day and let them know just how much you treasure them. They will not be with you forever and nothing is worse than feeling that you never said all that should have been said. Too often, we let the chaos of jobs and life in general keep us from staying true to this reality.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Prayers for your mother, Michael, and for all your loved ones.