Thursday, July 01, 2010

Today's White House Briefing on LGBT Issues: The President Is "Very Supportive" - Not

Today my fellow Bilerico Project bloggers Jillian Weiss and Pam Spaulding attended a briefing for LGBT media with Assistant to the President and Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council Melody Barnes. As is the norm, statements were made that President Obama is "very supportive" of LGBT rights. The problem is, unfortunately, that such statements never seem to translate into actions that help and protect average rank and file LGBT Americans and couples. Jillian's write up on the event can be found here on The Bilerico Project. Personally, I am over tiny, incremental improvements that have yet to do a damn thing for LGBT Virginians who can be fired at will, face discrimination in securing health insurance, and whose relationships receive zero legal recognitions. Talk is cheap and my standard response to calls from Democrat fundraisers is as follows:
*
I intend to withhold ALL contributions to the Democratic Party and its candidates until the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) is passed, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT) is fully repealed, and the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is repealed -– all of which President Obama repeatedly promised to do if elected. Until such time as these promises are kept, please do NOT ask me for money!!
*
But I digress. Here are some highlights from Jillian's thoughts on the meeting that included eight pro-LGBT outlets — The Advocate, AmericaBlog.com, Bilerico.com, Gay City News, Keen News Service, Metro Weekly, Pam’s House Blend, and Philadelphia Gay News:
*
Let me tell you what I asked and what she answered. When my turn came, I thanked her for all the executive branch activity in support of LGBT rights, as well as their support of the hate crimes bill. But I handed her the NCTE fact sheet on ENDA and noted that the trans community has 35% unemployment, with 60% of us under $15,000 in income, 26% of us having been fired because of our gender identity, 97% having been harassed on the job, and worse in communities of color. I noted that Congressional leadership seems reluctant to drive ENDA including Rep. Speier's "within 5 years" comment. I pointed up that, as she said, the President has not shied away from the bully pulpit, and pushed the Congressional leadership on DADT in the State of the Union Address, but hasn't mentioned ENDA. I asked how he will push ENDA in the future, or will he leave it up to the reluctant leadership?
*
I wanted to ask if this was the "fierce advocacy" he had mentioned, but my turn was up. I had a chance at a second question later. I asked if she could make the case for why LGBT people concerned about workplace discrimination should actively focus on the midterm elections to elect Democrats when the Democrats' support of LGBT rights is so passive -- spoken about but not acted upon. She declined to answer. Her area, she said, isn't politics. It's policy. I would have thought the two go together, . . .
*
I don't feel like I walked out with any more information than I walked in with. I already knew that the President was letting the legislative branch get away with ignoring LGBT rights. I'd like to be able to say I was satisfied with these answers. I'm sure you'd like to say nice things too. But it seems we have a fundamental disagreement with the President as to what his job is. Is it to lead -- or to follow?

*
Pam Spaulding's review of the briefing are not any more positive than Jillian's. Indeed, part of her blog post headline id "No News, Lots of Spin." Apparently, Obama thinks we all of us activist LGBT bloggers are a brunch of freeking idiots who will be all atwitter over a White House invite like the folks at HRC. That both Jillian and Pam have the same negative reaction ought to send off alarm bells among those who believe the Obama administration give a rat's ass about LGBT Americans. Here are highlights from Pam's analysis:
*
[I]t would have saved the WH a lot of grief if it spoke with parties other than Gay, Inc over the last year and a half. Now it can choose whether it's worthwhile to build a broader communication bridge.
*
Who attended: Seventeen people were invited and nine were able to make it: Lou Chibbaro, The Washington Blade; Jen Colletta, Philadelphia Gay News; Kerry Eleveld, The Advocate; Chris Geidner, Metro Weekly; Paul Schindler, Gay City News; Jillian Weiss, The Bilerico Project; Joe Sudbay; Americablog; Lisa Keen from Keen News Service and your blogmistress.
*
Summary of the meeting: Short version: Nothing new was learned, despite numerous attempts to get substantive answers about administration policy; move along to the next PHB post.
*
We were told by Barnes that the ball is in Congress's court to get these done and that the White House doesn't determine when matters are considered on the Hill or go to the floor for a vote. [Familiar passing the buck, lack of ability to multitask, impotence of the President. - ed.]
*
She went on to describe the President's support of DADT repeal, and an inclusive ENDA, and that members of the administration had testified on the Hill on the bill's behalf.
As a follow up, Chibbaro asked whether the President would use his own influence and speak out strongly and publicly about moving ENDA.
*
Barnes's answer here was curious -- she said he has continued to speak out about his support on ENDA
to all sorts of audiences. I don't recall him mentioning ENDA in many speeches this year, and certainly not in front of non-LGBT audiences. I've got to go use TEH GOOGLE and check that out.
*
It's unclear if there will be future meetings of this kind, or whether this was a dog and pony show to check off a box that LGBT media and the netroots have been engaged. As every move in a White House is political, not altruistic, we have to assume that both could be true.

*
My final analysis: it's more of the same old tired and worthless bullshit from Obama. He talks, fails to lead and then passes the buck to Congress. Is this the change so many of us voted for? I think not.

No comments: