Thursday, July 22, 2010

Debunking Christianity - A Former Pastor's View

Click to enlarge image

While we don't always agree, Bob Felton at Civil Commotion does a great job at focusing on the growing inability of fundamentalist Christianity and far right Catholicism to reconcile their fear and hate based religion with modernity and modern knowledge. Letting go of Bible inerrancy and an imperial papacy would do wonders to allow the faith to adjust to changes in modern scientific and medical knowledge and changes in society. The problem, of course, is that to do so would be an admission that what was formerly inflicted on those in the pews was erroneous and the house of cards begins to crumble. Perhaps even more frightening for adherents of fundamentalism and far right Catholicism would be the prospect of having to exercise independent thought and analysis - something long condemned by the fire and brimstone preachers and priests who use fear as a means of controlling the sheeple.
*
Bishop John Shelby Spong and others have argued that Christianity must change or die - something that might not be a bad thing given the evil that the Christianity has done over the centuries in the name of God. The decline of Catholicism in Europe, the recent approval of gay marriage in Argentina and the growing disillusionment of many with organized religion are but evidence of the coming train wreck for many denominations (not to mention nations) that allow the claimed inerrancy of the Bible to cause positions and actions that are increasingly out of touch with objective reality. Bob Felton found an interesting post by Bruce Gerencser, a former Baptist pastor, on a blog called Debunking Christiaity that does a good job of showing what I believe is happening with many who try to call themselves Christian. Here are highlights:
*
This post is My Testimony. I want to share, as briefly as I can, where I’ve been, what I’ve experienced, and what has brought me to where I am today. This is the testimony I would give if agnostics were allowed to give a testimony at the local Baptist Church.
*
I spent the first 50 years of my life in a Christian church. I attended the Episcopal Church and the Lutheran Church as a child. When my family moved to California in the early 1960s we began to attend a Baptist church. . . . I would preach my last sermon at age 48. All told I was a preacher for 33 years. I pastored churches for 25 of those 33 years.
*
I entered the ministry as a fundamentalist independent Baptist. I believed the King James Bible was the inerrant, inspired, infallible, perfect Word of God. I believed my calling in life was to win as many souls as possible and build a church up for the glory of God. I was premillennial and dispensational. I believed the rapture could come at any moment and that it was important to be busy serving Jesus when the rapture took place.
*
I left the ministry as a tired, worn out,abused preacher. When I left the ministry I was still a believer. I thought that the problem was the churches I pastored or perhaps me personally. If I just found the right church to attend the ship could be righted and all would be well. . . . After visiting over 125 churches, attending some of them for months, especially those in the community I lived in at the time, I came to the conclusion that no matter what the name was on the door every church was the same.
*
My crisis of faith did not begin as a theological struggle. It began as I looked at the Christian Church as a whole and came to the conclusion that, for the most part, the Christian church was a meaningless social club. While I certainly realized there were probably some exceptions out there somewhere I didn’t find any.
*
19 months ago I attended my last church service. I finally came to the place where I could no longer embraced the meaninglessness and the indifference of the Christian Church. I did not want to waste one more moment of my time doing something that didn’t matter.
*
During the time from my last pastorate in 2003 until today I have invested great time and effort in reinvestigating the Bible and the claims of the Christian Church. I’ve come to the conclusion that the Bible, as great of a book as it is, is not the inerrant, inspired word of God. At best, the Bible is a spiritual guide and a book of mythical stories written by men thousands of years ago. It is not a book that is overly relevant to the world that we live in today. The stories make for great reading but they offer little real practical wisdom for moderns in a 21st-century. I still enjoy reading the Sermon on the Mount, Ecclesiastes, and the Psalms. There is wisdom to be had from the Bible but it is certainly not a book that one can govern their life by.
*
I came to see that the Christian church’s attempt to prop up the Bible was a house of illusions. Instead of confronting the fallibility of the text and the many errors within that text, the Christian church instead developed convoluted and humorous explanations for the perceived errors and contradictions in the Bible. Explanations like….. inerrant in the originals.
*
Robert Price said that once a person stops believing that the Bible is the Word of God they are on a slippery slope where there is no natural stopping place. That’s where I find myself.
*
My deconversion came at the moment where I finally admitted to myself that I no longer believed the Bible to be the word of God. As I have often said, It really is all about the Bible. I am thoroughly convinced that what Christians say about the Bible simply is not the truth. I bear them no ill will. I firmly believe that every person has a right to believe what they want. As long as that person does not try to force their religion upon me or attempt to control the government or society with their religion I subscribe to the live and let live theory. Unfortunately we live in a day where many Christians feel called by their God to turn America into a theocracy and to establish the Bible as the law. For this reason I continue to fight Christians who have such an agenda.
*
I do not know if a god exists or not. I have room in my worldview for a God but I am quite certain that the Western, Christian, evangelical God, the God of the Bible is no God at all. Some people like to label me an atheist. I am not.
*
I know a lot of you will find this disappointing. Some people think this is a phase I’m going through. Perhaps I have PTSD from all my years as a fundamentalist Baptist pastor. Others suggest I have mentally lost it. I have nothing to say to people who think like this. It seems they simply cannot accept that someone can walk away from Jesus. That someone can reject Christianity. That someone can weigh Christianity in the balances and find it wanting.
*
As time goes by, I believe more and more of us will find ourselves in Bruce Gerencser's position. Faith based on fear and hatred towards others and which requires the embracing of ignorance and ridiculous mental gymnastics just doesn't cut it anymore. Will Christianity change or will the Christianists kill it? Only time will tell.

3 comments:

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

I know where he's coming from. I grew up Catholic and for many years was very devout. But the mean-spiritedness of many so called Christians drove me away from the church. I have been in a spiritual crisis for a long time. Like the former Reverend, I am not an atheist. I believe there is a spiritual energy. But it surely is not the hate-filled, judgmental bastard on high that we were taught about in church.

Anonymous said...

Funny where blog posts end up. :) Thanks for mentioning my post on Debunking Christianity. I appreciate it.

Bruce

Carole said...

I believe that the pastor is talking about the practice of "bibliolatry," a worship of the Bible (in stead of worship of God, whom the Bible points toward).

Fortunately, some people who have been very hurt by religion have found a different, loving, welcoming congregation where faith can become a positive experience. How I wish we had more congregations like that! It takes a long time, tho, to overcome the damage of an earlier experience.

Shalom.