Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World Cup Mania

I will be the first to admit that outside of sports in which I participate myself - snow skiing, surfing, figure skating, water skiing - I truly did NOT get the sports gene. Add to that the fact that big, lumbering, overly muscle bound (or fat guys in the case of some American football players) just don't do it for me, and it's easy to see why you won't find me glued to the sofa during football season. Indeed, I much prefer leaner, yet toned types of guys. Like swimmers and soccer players. As a result I view soccer as a far more titillating sport than American football which I view as a modified form of thuggish Roman gladiator games absent the penalty of death for the losing contestants. Of course to make a justification for my preference I can also rely on The Advocate's new piece entitled "15 Gay Reasons to Watch the World Cup." My favorite reason (other than Cristiano Ronaldo pictured above, of course):
*
15. Because of the um, athleticism. Sure, there's tons of eye candy, but soccer is a tough sport, more so than American football with all the padding and the amount of time it takes to set up plays. Watch the World Cup for the pure sport of it! And surely a couple of entertaining fights will break out along the way. .
*
Enjoy the games! :)

No comments: