Friday, March 12, 2010

Stars on Ice Blacklisting Johnny Weir

As readers of this blog have likely figured out by now, I am a fan of competitive figure skating - having had a daughter in the sport I understand its rigors and demands - as well as an advocate of people being themselves and not playing a role that they deem expected of them. I did that for over three decades and the results were a disaster. Sadly, Stars on Ice has determined through God knows what process that Johnny Weir is not sufficiently "Family friendly" to be included in the Stars on Ice troupe. Never mind that Johnny is a 3-time US National Champion, a World Bronze Medalist, a 2-time Grand Prix Final Bronze Medalist, and a 2-time Olympian. The bigoted sponsors - Smucker's and IMG Entertainment (who I am now effectively boycotting) apparently view Johnny as wee bit too gay, Even though they have no proof as to his actual sexual orientation.
*
To counter this bigotry that is depriving Johnny of his much deserved professional career, Glesen has started a petition to the anti-gay sponsors of Stars on Ice demanding that Johnny be included among the skaters on the tour. To sign the petition, please click here. PLEASE sign the petition and send a clear message that anti-gay bigotry carries a cost. I am personally so over this gutless anti-gay bigotry that I am going to go through our refrigerators and throw out ALL products by these bigoted sponsors. And henceforth, I will not buy ANY of their products. I hope that others will join me in the effort.

No comments: