Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Is this Blog/Am I Negative?

It is hard to know what readers expect independent bloggers like myself to write about. Holding a full time job (actually having your own firm is more than "full time") limits one's ability to research and/or review countless stories in the manner a professional journalist might do. I generally write about whatever stories or issues that resonate with me. I received the following comment earlier in the day that left me wondering whether I am doing something wrong:
*
I have been following your blog for the last two years. I find that most if not all your posts have to do with gay issues. I find that I will omit reading your blog because of it. It just comes across as very negative. I am not saying that you are negative but most of the stories are.
*
As far as covering "gay issues," the name of this blog is "Michael-in-Norfolk -- Coming Out in Mid-Life." Thus, I am not sure why the author of the comment is surprised that I look at many gay issues and that the blog has a gay theme if you will o it. In terms of being "negative," I will concede that I have no sympathy for opponents of gay rights who in the final analysis seek to impose one set of religious views on all. Likewise, I have no use for pompous hypocrites that predominate the Catholic Church hierarchy. Beyond that, I seriously would like to know what readers want to see. I have some readers that indicate that they get their "gay news" from this blog. Others have complained when I stray from talking about my own coming out experiences.
*
I'm open to suggestions, so please give me your input.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, Don't change a thing. There will always be people who will never be satisfied no matter what and how you write.
Lon

NG said...

Just another hater trying to justify his hate at your expense. Lacking the ability to avoid your blog, he figures by placing guilt on you, that you will in turn delete the blog or go away and his existence will be made all the better by eliminating dissent.

I will also remind you, what I think you reminded me awhile back and that is never let others the privilege of editorializing your blog.

So there.

Anonymous said...

I say write about whatever catches your interest. It is your blog after all so write about what you want. Those that like what you have to say will continue to visit and read and those that don't will go else where.

As for being negative...I haven't found you to be so. But then I don't think calling a spade a spade is negative, just honest.

Keep up the good work!

carole said...

I remember when you wouldn't show a pic of yourself. Glad to see your doing that now. Cute, and neat hair!

drew said...

I think you took my post the wrong way. I have been reading about your problems with depression and all the heartache you have endured since coming out. What I meant in the post was that you have immersed yourself in gay issues and a lot of gay stories aren't positive. My point was to change your focus to more positive things to help you. If you deal with negative issues all day how do you balance that... Just like your response to my post....attack...attack.. Sorry for trying.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Drew,

I by no means intended to attack you. I really do not know at times what attracts readers and what does not. Daily hits can vary by as much as 500 visits, so in part I want to know what people want and like. And I will concede that the post you commented on (which I have deleted) was a bit of a pity party.

Unfortunately, many of the gay stories are negative because that's the reality due to the society we live in and in some cases, the states that we live in. Virginia, for example, simply is not a good place to live if you are gay and care about equality and religious freedom. But for the boyfriend's successful salon we would leave Virginia. In fact, we probably will once our parents are gone.

I would also state that if I'm outspoken, it's because too many people in this area in particualr sit and bitch but will not do anything. Should DADT be repealed, the whole atmosphere of this area will likely change. Not immediately, but in time.

Michael

NG said...

Michael freqently posts soft core gay erotica, showcasing his taste for the male form.

I would imagine that would fall into the category of being positive, no?

Unknown said...

Michael,
Please, just keep doing what you are doing. I don't always agree with everything you write, and I don't always read every article, but this is your blog and you should be writing about what interests you. Didn't you have enough of trying to please others when you were still in the closet? Just write about what you find interesting and what is in your heart. You will have plenty of readers...
-Russ

Anonymous said...

My good man, well, I will just leave it at that!
Don't change a thing!

I wonder, if this reader would have told our black brothers and sisters back THEN, after being washed down on the streets of Birmingham to "look on the bright side?"
There will be a bright side in the future because of what you are doing!
That incidentally, is a pretty positive damned thing.

Tim in the Loire

Jeff said...

Michael...I am a fairly new reader; your blog was recommended by a friend as I am a gay married man looking at the inevitable breakup of my family. I read with earnest your story and felt great pain for all of your suffering. I did comment to my friend that I found your blog overly negative, but I kept with you and realized that my feelings about your blog were short sighted. Going through your coming out journey IS associated with profound loss and now I appreciate the candid expressions of your pain, suffering and depression. As I have stayed with you, I have noted an increasing sense of healing on your part and less overall negativity with your current status, so kudos to you on that front.
I enjoy the pictures, news stories, and stories on your continued personal healing process, so please don't change a thing!
Thank you for all the help your blog as been in my journey.