Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Morning This and That

The greater Norfolk region is in freak out mode. Why? There is a forecast that the area could receive up to a foot of snow starting after midnight tonight. Meanwhile, the boyfriend and I are supposed to be headed to Charlottesville to spend the weekend with my mother who is recovering from her recent stroke. Luckily, the forecast for that area is only light snow. I want to see my Mom, keep her company, and most importantly get a handle on what is going on with her medically on in person. Obviously, with the current weather forecast, we will take the boyfriend's Ford Expedition that typically is used to hall supplies for the Salon or in instances where we have too many people to fit comfortably in the other vehicles. It's a tank and four wheel drive, so hopefully the trip will be uneventful.
*
I am seeking my therapist this morning. With the new calendar year, I have a new deductible to overcome, so it's likely that Ill be dropping out of therapy and going off the meds once the current prescriptions run out since I am still trying to pay off the one from last year. Welcome to America where - unlike other advanced nations - the health of citizens means nothing, particularly those on the far right, many of whom claim to be Christian. It is a truly f*cked up value system where the never ending quest lower taxes trump health care even for children. WWJD?
*
Having my daughter working for me continues to be a joy even as I continue to hear nothing from my other two children. She is smart, a very fast typist, and seems to be catching on quickly as my office manager teachers her some of the bookkeeping chores and other administrative tasks. She has struck up a fast friendship with a young gay friend who helps us out from time to time covering the phones and doing document preparation, as well as working for another attorney subletting office space from me. Of my children, she is the only one who has a window into my world, sees my LGBT friends and clients and sees the burdens of running a small law firm in the current economy. She remains a true treasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe Travels to you, weather in VA could get messy. Remember, 4 wheel Drive doesn't mean 4 wheel Stop.

Your daughter ia a true Blessing!
- roger

Unknown said...

Welcome to New England.

Be thankfull you don't live in Texas. OK or Tennessee, oops that's the storm you'll be getting so I guess you do.

Time to build snow fairies !