Tuesday, October 20, 2009

World War II Vet Stood Up for His Gay Son

Before voters go to the polls to vote in Maine in a few weeks, I hope they will recall some of the statements made before the legislature voted to approve same sex marriage. Nearly 4,000 people attended the hearing, with marriage equality supporters out-numbering the opposition 4 to 1. One supporter was the World War II veteran in the clip below. Would my own dad have spoken up that way? I'm not sure and will never know since he died over three years ago. Sadly, he never lived to meet the boyfriend. He did, however, fully embrace my ex-boyfriend and accept us as a couple. Just maybe he would have stood up for us like this father. I know that I would speak out in support of my son.


1 comment:

Lyndon Evans said...

Thanks for finding this video.

I have added it to my blog at Hearst Newspapers, "Focus On the Rainbow".

Although the gentleman is at times a bit hard to understand, his message is nonethless clear and inspiring.