Tuesday, October 20, 2009

John Shelby Spong Calls Out Anti-Gay Anglicans

Personally, I like retired Episcopal bishop John Shelby Spong's writing because he demonstrates that one can continue to have faith without the requirement that one first have a lobotomy. As I was dealing with religious based self-hate while coming out, his book "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism" was a huge help in understanding that the Bible is anything but inerrant and that many of its books were written with a clear agenda as opposed to merely recounting supposed historical fact. In addition, Spong has been extremely out spoken in opposing homophobia and has advocated for full membership for gays within the Episcopal Church and Christianity in general. A friend and reader sent me a link to a new "manifesto" that Spong has issued which takes the anti-gay elements in his church to task and calls them out for their bigotry. Would that more religious leaders would condemn hate and bigotry in such stark terms. Here are some highlights:
*
I have made a decision. I will no longer debate the issue of homosexuality in the church with anyone. I will no longer engage the biblical ignorance that emanates from so many right-wing Christians about how the Bible condemns homosexuality, as if that point of view still has any credibility. I will no longer discuss with them or listen to them tell me how homosexuality is "an abomination to God," about how homosexuality is a "chosen lifestyle," or about how through prayer and "spiritual counseling" homosexual persons can be "cured." Those arguments are no longer worthy of my time or energy. I will no longer dignify by listening to the thoughts of those who advocate "reparative therapy," as if homosexual persons are somehow broken and need to be repaired.
*
The world has moved on, leaving these elements of the Christian Church that cannot adjust to new knowledge or a new consciousness lost in a sea of their own irrelevance. They no longer talk to anyone but themselves. I will no longer seek to slow down the witness to inclusiveness by pretending that there is some middle ground between prejudice and oppression. There isn't. Justice postponed is justice denied.
*
I will particularly ignore those members of my own Episcopal Church who seek to break away from this body to form a "new church," claiming that this new and bigoted instrument alone now represents the Anglican Communion. Such a new ecclesiastical body is designed to allow these pathetic human beings, who are so deeply locked into a world that no longer exists, to form a community in which they can continue to hate gay people, distort gay people with their hopeless rhetoric and to be part of a religious fellowship in which they can continue to feel justified in their homophobic prejudices for the rest of their tortured lives. Church unity can never be a virtue that is preserved by allowing injustice, oppression and psychological tyranny to go unchallenged.
*
I will no longer act as if the Papal office is to be respected if the present occupant of that office is either not willing or not able to inform and educate himself on public issues on which he dares to speak with embarrassing ineptitude. I will no longer be respectful of the leadership of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who seems to believe that rude behavior, intolerance and even killing prejudice is somehow acceptable . . . I see no way that ignorance and truth can be placed side by side, nor do I believe that evil is somehow less evil if the Bible is quoted to justify it.
*
I make these statements because it is time to move on. The battle is over. The victory has been won. There is no reasonable doubt as to what the final outcome of this struggle will be. Homosexual people will be accepted as equal, full human beings, who have a legitimate claim on every right that both church and society have to offer any of us. Homosexual marriages will become legal, recognized by the state and pronounced holy by the church. "Don't ask, don't tell" will be dismantled as the policy of our armed forces. We will and we must learn that equality of citizenship is not something that should ever be submitted to a referendum.
*
I will also no longer act as if I need a majority vote of some ecclesiastical body in order to bless, ordain, recognize and celebrate the lives and gifts of gay and lesbian people in the life of the church. No one should ever again be forced to submit the privilege of citizenship in this nation or membership in the Christian Church to the will of a majority vote. . . . I am tired of being embarrassed by so much of my church's participation in causes that are quite unworthy of the Christ I serve or the God whose mystery and wonder I appreciate more each day. Indeed I feel the Christian Church should not only apologize, but do public penance for the way we have treated people of color, women, adherents of other religions and those we designated heretics, as well as gay and lesbian people.

1 comment:

Paul in Sydnay said...

My dear mother told me years ago, after she and my father had been to hear Spong on one of his Australian visits - "I like what I heard; a bishop who talks sense." I read Spong's autobiography and felt tears at the point where he discusses his own "coming out" experience - "coming out" of ignorance and prejudice and discovering the God was so much bigger than the box that the Church sometimes tries to stuff him/her into. John Shelby Spong is a great man, a man of integrity, and a wonderful Christian. Thanks for posting his manifesto! I am passing it around.