Friday, September 11, 2009

New York, New York

After Tuesday's serious melt down, the boyfriend has taken me to New York City for a long weekend (it's cheaper than a stay at Riverside Behavioral Center). We flew up last night and are staying at our friend Douglas' apartment in the West Village just down the block from the Stonewall Inn. Douglas and his partner live in Bucks County and he is never in town on the weekends. The price is right - free - and the location is wonderful. Airtran has direct flights out of Newport News which are a great deal as well. An added reason for coming is that due to Hampton Bay Days in downtown Hampton, the boyfriend's salon is closed down due to the festival.
*
Since the weather is less than wonderful today (rain and gusting winds), we are headed to the Guggenheim Museum after meeting the daughter of one of the boyfriend's long time clients for a late breakfast. Coincidentally, she lives about half a block from the apartment and works at a New York law firm. Tonight the boyfriend is taking me to see Hair - believe it or not, I have never been to a Broadway show, although back in my in house counsel days I did go to a show in London's theater district.
*
Meanwhile, my staff will hold down the office and I am sure I will talk to them throughout the day and correspond via e-mail. As a sole practioner, one never truly escapes the office. Fortunately, my office manager is amazing and loyal beyond belief. At times I think she'd take a bullet for me and is very protective of me. She's a gem and the conspires with the boyfriend to look out for me. My youngest daughter is the newest addition to the office and replaces my young paralegal, Matt, who moved back to Kentucky (Louisville) with his partner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael,
Getting out of town can be a good thing. Hopefully it will help you put some perspective on things.
I just saw Hair about a month ago performed by a local community theater group in Grand Forks, ND. I'm sure that what you will see on Broadway will be more polished, but it was still a very moving experience. I'm sure you will enjoy the show.
I am actually getting out of town myself to go see Obama tomorrow in Minneapolis. I know that you have been disappointed by his seeming cowardice to act on the things that are important to us and I share that feeling too, but he is still our only hope. By participating and showing our support maybe we can still give him some of the courage he needs to make the changes that he promised us in the campaign.