Thursday, September 03, 2009

Prevent Buju Banton From Appearing at The NORVA in Norfolk, Virginia

I was horrified to learn via an e-mail from a friend that Jamaican gay hating performer Buju Banton is scheduled to appear at The NORVA theater located at 317 Monticello Avenue in Norfolk, Virginia on September 25, 2009. Yes, this is the same Buju Banton I wrote about a few days ago who advocates in his songs violence against and the murder of gays. Several concert venues have canceled his performances because of his violent song lyrics. I am shocked that The NORVA would book someone so vile. Would the NORVA book a performer who sang about murdering blacks or Jews? I suspect not. The standard should be no different with Banton. I am encouraging people to contact the NORVA and make it known that booking Banton is NOT acceptable. Here is the contact information to voice your concerns:
*
Tel: 627-4547
Fax: 622-2829
E-mail: questions@thenorva.com
*
Here's the text of the e-mail I received that says it well:
*
Do we really need a concert in Norfolk, VA where the performer’s hit song is about shooting minorities and pouring acid on them?
*
Buju Banton is coming to the Norva 9/25. His hit song, “Boom Boom Bye” said that “batty boys”, a slur for homosexuals, should be shot in the head and have acid poured on them.
*
Is this an image of Norfolk’s performing arts that you are proud of? How on Earth can this be allowed to take place? This is no different than the KKK singing about lynching African Americans or Neo Nazis singing about how great it is to put Jewish people in concentration camps.
*
I am embarrassed and disgusted that such a thing is taking place in a location I call home. What can be done to cancel this revolting event? I am ashamed for Norfolk.
*
I fully concur with my friend's outrage and have put out the word to as many people as possible locally to raise a ruckus with The NORVA.

No comments: