Monday, September 14, 2009

Blogger and Activist Meet Up

While in New York City I received a telephone call from Lyndon at Focus on the Rainbow - one of the first bloggers I spoke with other than online - and then ran in to Nelson from NG Blog in the West Village. Then by sheer coincidence we ran into Wayne Besen of Truth Wins Out and his partner on Saturday evening at a bar named Pieces just down the street from our friend's apartment we stay at when in NYC. Wayne and I first met back on July, 2003, when we worked together to out former national ex-gay poster boy Michael Johnston who was sleeping around with men in the Hampton Roads area - where Johnston is originally from - under and assumed name. Meanwhile his videos and books claiming that he was "cured" from homosexuality by accepting Jesus were being sold by all the leading professional Christian organizations.
*
Both Lyndon and Nelson offered me encouragement in dealing with the post divorce war nightmare and had the chance to speak with the boyfriend as well. Lyndon - who began blogging at about the same time I did - in particular has been a loyal cyberspace friend and often drops me e-mails or forwards some outrageous story that he or one of our e-mail network contacts stumbles across.
*
As for Wayne and Jaime (who is a sweetheart), we had a great visit catching up and by the time it was over we'd invited them to come down and visit the various historical attractions in southeast Virginia. The Internet and blogging are amazing in terms of the power provided to meet people and disseminate information. Blogging has truly helped keep me sane (or semi-sane) during some of my darkest times over the last two and a half years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet both you and your partner.

And no, I don't consent to the release of my photo, LOL.

gdouglasw said...

It's Pieces bar. Not Pisces. More stutty.