Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why the New York GOP Should Embrace Gay Marriage

While I'm still not totally sure of her motives, Meghan McCain continues to be saying all the right things about gay marriage and I'm sure she is causing the Christianists base of the GOP to have conniption fits. With children of her age bracket of my own, most have gay friends and they are turned off by the non-stop anti-gay jihad of the GOP. Thus, I suspect Meghan McCain sees the hand writing on the wall that as the old guard of the GOP extreme far right die off, the younger voters replacing them will see gay marriage as a litmus test as to whether or not they can be Republicans and feel forced to vote Democrat. McCain has a column in the New York Daily News where she expounds on this topic. Oddly enough, some of her statements sound like those of Andrew Sullivan. Here are some highlights:
*
In Open Letter to New York Republicans:

*

As I read the news about the recent advances of marriage equality across our country, I think it is easy for many to get distracted by the politics and rhetoric on this issue and lose sight of what is really at its heart: the equality of freedom.

*

No matter how politically charged the discussions about marriage equality may get, the question is really a simple one: Do the rights and privileges we offer citizens include everyone in our country, or only some of us?

*

I believe that allowing gays and lesbians the freedom to marry is an idea whose time has come. Though my opinion is no doubt influenced by my family's public role in political life, I still approach this from personal experience, as I think most people do. For me, this is about treating all of my friends, and all of our brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren the same as I want to be treated. Equality under the law and personal freedoms are what make America the greatest country in the world, and they are core values that I hold as a Republican.

*

Gays and lesbians are a vital part of our communities. They are doctors, teachers, firefighters, emergency personnel and neighbors. In this way, marriage equality is also about supporting good citizens and strengthening our communities. When a committed gay couple seeks to declare their love for one another and get married, the whole community benefits from the added stability and strength of that family. On top of that, we don't give up anything by sharing responsibilities and protections with those whom we love. That's why I support marriage equality.

*

I believe marriage equality will soon come to New York. My hope is that Republican senators will offer their support and make the difference to pass the marriage bill. By voting for the marriage bill, they will make a strong statement about supporting New York families, strengthening New York communities and demonstrating that equality and fairness are fundamental values of New York Republicans. It will leave a legacy that will make us all proud.

No comments: