Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Pride and Joy - Part II

The other day I did a post in tribute to my younger daughter who has been an amazing support and ally to me in the difficult coming out process and horrific divorce wars that followed. She's never given up on me and she likely has no idea how much that continues to mean to me. Last night she left a comment on this blog which touched my heart deeply. I decided not to publish the entire comment, but I do want to share some of it with readers - especially those still in the closet and debating what to do in terms of whether or not they should come out or not. I believe that her comments suggest your children often understand far more than we give them credit for and that they hold more wisdom than we know. Here are some highlights from the comment my daughter posted:
*
You were very obviously unhappy and angry, although for a long time we had no idea why, and I think that you being honest with yourself has been beneficial to our whole family. I don't think mom was being selfish in that situation either though because, . . . I cant even imagine how hearing that news from your husband of 24 years must have been like.
*
I think that neither of you will ever be able to understand because you have never been in the other one's position. I am not going to comment or get involved with any of the court bullshit because that has just gotten ridiculous.
*
I hope everyday that we can put all of this behind us so that in one way or another we can all be like family again. Whether or not that will happen, who knows. . . . . I say this to mom, and I'm going to say this to you too: try to imagine, though you'll never be able to comprehend, how the other half of this situation must have felt and what they must have been struggling with.
*
And now I am done. I just kinda needed to get that off my chest haha. I hope it all makes sense. I love you Dad.
*
I for one have NEVER, EVER wanted the divorce to be as mean and vicious as it has become through none of my doing. As for my younger daughter, I consider her - along with my two other children - my greatest achievement in life I love her dearly. I hope that any closeted readers take away the message that they should not automatically assume the worse in terms of their children's reactions should they decide to "come out." They might be greatly surprised by the wisdom of their children which can often exceed the wisdom of supposedly more mature adults.

No comments: