Wednesday, May 13, 2009

John Gress Photography

I mentioned the other day that I had cross linked this blog with Chicago based photographer John Gress' blog and commercial website. John (pictured at left) takes some amazing photos and I have posted a number of them, including the most recent "male beauty" post. I neither take quality photos myself nor do I look all that great in photos taken of me (I like to think I'm just not photogenic), so I'm always intrigued by those who are skilled photographers as well as gorgeous/interesting models. John has answered a few questions that I sent to him that I want to share with readers so as to provide some of the thinking behind the beautiful photographs. Here are my questions and John's responses:
*
1. Were you ever a model before moving into photography? If so, how did you first get into modeling?
*
I never modeled because I lacked self confidence. Looking back, I wish I had. Maybe I'll get into it when I'm closer to 40. I'm 31 now.
*
2. What prompted you to go into photography?
*
I first started taking pictures at age 13 when I went to summer camp with my mother's camera.
*
3. How do you select models for your photo shoots?
*
When I first look at a prospective model, I am interested in three thing face structure, body and height. If they are just boyfriend cute maybe they will work in a fitness context. If the have symetry, a sharp jaw line and nice cheek bones they will be good for fashion.
*
4. Do you have models that you find particularly good to work with?
*
Any model who shows up and is on time is automatically particularly good to work with. I don't pay most of my models because I feel they are getting something of great value for their portfolio. Lately we've had a lot of flakes and at times I feel like I'd be better off looking for blind dates on the Internet than waiting on an unprofessional model. The ones who don't show up are always the ones who want to reschedule. As one of the main characters in the movie 'Taken' proclaims in the trailer, 'good luck.'
*
5. How do you come up with the poses and lighting combinations for shoots?
*
Most of the poses I use in my photos come from the back of my memory and sometimes more directly from other images I have seen. I look at a lot of photographs on a daily basis and I draw, in an academic way, from what's already been done to come up with a new vision. When it comes to lighting I have built upon trial and error to come up with a lot of different set-ups. I also like to watch inspiring films like 'The Reader' which was a cinematic masterpiece.
*
6. What are your favorite types of photo shoots?
*
Out of all the topics I have done, I love shooting group sports lifestyle shoots. It's a great opportunity for me to play with lighting and use the expertise I developed over a career of shooting professional sports. In 2007 I was named one of the top three American sports photographers by the National Press Photographers Association.

No comments: