Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Am Starting the Book

As I had mentioned a day or so ago, the boyfriend and others are encouraging me to write a book about my experiences both living in the closet for 37 years, trying desperately to turn myself straight, and all of the aspects of my coming out and slowly coming to terms with myself as a gay man and the stumbles along the way, including everything from changing religious denominations, to the pitfalls of relationships, to becoming an active member of the local gay community as well as within the LGBT blogging community. As I have said, I started this blog at the suggestion of my therapist back in late 2006 to accumulate material for a possible book. Moreover, in deciding to start the blog I also found great inspiration from Andrew Sullivan's personal story in Virtually Normal and the coming out stories posted by other bloggers such as Matt at Debriefing the Boys, Pink Elephant, and others.
*
In any event, tonight I started the effort by beginning to work in reverse chronological order through blog posts beginning in early 2007 to put together a rough framework of my story. Given the many, many posts I have done to date, it will take some time to get a rough draft done, but I believe that it will give me a good workable format for a book and allow me to go through and edit, rewrite and supplement postings. Since I am in a far better place in terms of self-acceptance than when some of original posts were done, I intend to give more details and what I hope will be better analysis and perceptions in the book version. There will be some new "true confessions" aspects that have not been previously disclosed as well as more information on GOP political figures that covered up for former Congressman Ed Schrock such a Bob McDonnell, current candidate for governor of Virginia - I still have old e-mails. :) I hope it will be enlightening and helpful to others trying to make the same journey that I did.
*
I will keep readers updated on the progress and hopefully, if I can get the book published, the proceeds can go towards paying off the ex-wife so that I can move on with my new life. Any suggestions for a title for the book will be appreciated.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great for you... best of luck in the progress and i look forward to the finished product...

Stephen said...

It is more common to have too little written on which to draw than too much (for those starting books).

There is no doubt in my mind that you can write engagingly, whether you go backwards in time or forward!

Write on!