Friday, December 26, 2008

An Open Letter to Our Oppressors

What often strikes me about the anti-gay Christianists, Mormons, and corrupt Catholic hierarchy all of whom seem to live to oppress LGBT individuals is the way in which they relegate us to a sub-human status, as if we were not living, breathing humans like everyone else. Their message is burdensome at times, but we must strive to (1) always remember that God made us as we are, (2) never internalize the poison our enemies disseminate and (3) never let up our vigilance to oppose their agenda of marginalizing us. Peterson Toscano (pictured at left) who works tirelessly to counter the ex-gay myth, has an open letter to our enemies posted at Pam's House Blend which is a must read. Here are some highlights:
*
Yes, I hear you. I am not deaf to your messages. To the Holy Father in Rome, Reverend Rick Warren in California, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the many supporters of Prop 8, Focus on the Family, Exodus International, and so many others who publicly speak out against LGBT people and our rights, I hear you loud and clear. No matter how you sugarcoat it and wrap it up with smiles and scripture and say that you are nothing like the extremist, Fred Phelps, I hear your message loud and clear telling me that I am inferior and unwanted in your world. These are not your words, but all the same this is the message you communicate.
*
I hear you insist time and time again in multiple ways that heterosexuals are superior to gays and lesbians. Your marriages, your homes, your "lifestyles" are normal, but mine? Not so much. I hear you declare that I am not capable of producing anything good or beneficial other than some window treatments or a decent hair style. In essence I hear you say that I am a worthless piece of shit and the cause of untold woes and problems, the harbinger of even worst things to come.
*
You treat us as an inconvenient and unwanted Christmas gift that you desperately wish to exchange for something better. You belittle our love, our families, our faith, our morals, our very lives while all the time you claim to speak the truth in love. This is not love. This is fear. It is control and oppression, and it is the rejection of God's gifts to the church, society and in some cases to your very families.
*
I know all about rejecting this gift. I did it for years as I repented daily of the same-sex attractions and gender differences I found inside me. I demonized my sexuality and believed no good could come of my gay orientation. I proceeded to return this gift as I bullied God for something else--I coveted my straight neighbor's life believing the propaganda that his was the idealized norm to follow instead of trusting God for the life I had been given.
*
In the midst of all that I experienced grace and tenderness from God, extreme patience, kindness ultimately leading to a deeper repentance, one based in Light and reality, a repentance that recognizes that a gay orientation and gender differences came to me as an astonishing gift of power and beauty.
*
I may be a peace-loving Quaker and a Christian, but that doesn't mean I am going to avoid confrontation or assume we can all just hold hands and overlook our differences. To do so would be to support your oppression and enable you to continue in it with my permission. I point out to you what you may be unwilling or unable to see. You stand as oppressors, bullies, abusers imposing your sexuality and religious views on others. . . . In spite of the opposition and the oppression, we will thrive.
*
And perhaps one day you will come to your senses. Perhaps you will see with clearer eyes. Perhaps you too will repent of your bullying and the rejection of the gifts among you. Regardless, we will not back down, and we will continue to live our lives with dignity.

No comments: