Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Melancholy

After a busy weekend of holiday festivities and parties, including a wonderful dinner with my daughters, for a total of five events in three days, I nonetheless find myself sad and depressed. Perhaps it is because of the almost forced expectation that one be happy and merry. Meanwhile, work is hectic, money is beyond tight, and it's very cold this morning to boot.
*
Perhaps another unconscious element is the fact that with the added religious focus that one sees this time of year, it also brings to mind the fact that for LGBT individuals the fact that one is an outsider since so many "Christians" are the enemies of gays and gay rights. It is supposed to be a time of good cheer and God's love, yet for the professional Christians the shams of "the war against Christmas," "protecting marriage," and other fabricated reasons to shake down the sheep for money and to denigrate others continue along unabated. The rank hypocrisy is overwhelming.
*
I'll be happy to see the New Year if for no other reason than to escape the false merriment and to see it put away for yet another year. Meanwhile, the bright spots in my life are my children and the boyfriend who continues to prove himself wonderful and a lifesaver to me.

No comments: