Monday, December 22, 2008

1 of 18,000 Being Attacked This Holiday Season

Waymon Hudson (on the left) of Fight Out Loud and Bilerico Project, who I met at the Blogger Summit, has a great post over at Pam's House Blend today that looks at the Christianist war against LGBT citizens and underscores just how disingenuous our foes are when it comes to demonizing people that they do not even know. They act as if we are some alien species as opposed to people just like everyone else save for who we fall in love with. Waymon's post likewise shows how important it is to be open and authentic in our lives because it goes to demolish the "other" aspect that our foes work so hard to maintain. Here are a few highlights:
*
My "homosexual agenda" is pretty much the same everyday. Wake-up, give my husband a kiss on the cheek, give one of our dogs his allergy medicine and make sure there is food in their bowls, decide if I can skip another day of going for a jog as I munch on leftover holiday cookies, eventually make my way over to the computer to check my email and start my work day. Pretty sinister, right?
*
I often wonder if the people fighting to strip away our marriage really stop to think of the individuals involved, to really put a face on the news story and the nameless numbers. They are great about putting out press releases, commercials, and emails talking about the dangerous homosexual agenda, but I wonder if they think about the people they are working so hard to take things from.
*
It's interesting that the people that are quite literally destroying marriages, mine and 18,000 others, are somehow taking the stance of moral authority. I know for certain that part of my day does not include trying to break up other marriages. Can they say the same? So for now I sit next to my husband, the man I love, and wonder how someone else gets the right to decide if our marriage is valid. I know they can never change how we feel for one another, but it doesn't stop it from stinging as you read a headline about how your marriage is getting dissolved. Happy Holidays, indeed...

No comments: