Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wow!! Electoral Victory


It has been a very emotional and tumultuous day having worked inside a majority black precinct in Norfolk for "Protect the Vote" for the Obama campaign, then watching the returns, McCain's concession speech at the home of friends (accompanied with champagne toasts), and just moments ago Obama's victory speech. I feel emotionally wrung out, but in a wonderful way. For the Democrats in Virginia, it was a great day: Obama carries Virgina, Mark Warner annihilates Jim Gilmore in the U.S. Senate race, and Glenn Nye appears to have defeated GOP Congresswoman Thelma Drake in the 2nd Congressional district.
*
I will post tomorrow more on my reflections on the day and what I observed, but I cannot omit mentioning the high emotions in the precinct where I worked (it went nearly 4 to 1 for Obama) seeing many first time black voters of all ages. Many truly did not believe that they would ever see the day that someone with African American heritage would win the White House. Some were in near tears and I will admit I teared up myself.
*
The last things I will worry about as I try to get some need sleep is what happens with the Proposition 8 vote. Sadly, it looks like the anti-gay initiatives will pass in both Florida and Arizona (clear examples of discrimination based on religious belief, I would add). I pray to God that California does not follow suit. Needless to say, it's ironic that on the day a black man is elected as president of the United States, hate and discrimination are still alive and well against gays. Thankfully, John McCain will not be the one making nominations to the U. S. Supreme Court which is perhaps the last stop for LGBT Americans to find equal treatment and rights under the law. My happiness over the Obama win is greatly dampened and I cannot help but wonder if perhaps the USA is not the country in which I want to continue living.

No comments: