Monday, November 10, 2008

Mormon Hypocrisy

Not surprisingly, I have received quite a bit of commentary on my recent posts about the passage of Proposition 8. Equally, unsurprising is that much of it has been by anonymous posters - the gutless wonders who always aggravate me for their cowardice - who do not share my views. Some of the comments have been published and others not. I do want to respond on two issues. The first is the - pardon my "french" the self-serving bullshit being left by some Mormons on the blog. One example is the following:
*
I am Mormon, I supported Prop 8, and I advocate re... I am Mormon, I supported Prop 8, and I advocate respect for homosexuals, as do many others of my faith. I mourn the hatred homosexuals face on a daily basis and pledge my efforts to eliminate mistreatment of gays.
*
I'm sorry, but that statement is like saying "I don't like the mistreatment of Jews and want to help them by taking baked cookies to the death camps, but I unconditionally support the Nazi Party." The writer is a bigot even if they don't care to take a good look at themselves in the mirror. One does NOT get to have it both ways. Especially because the form of gay marriage was CIVIL LAW marriage - a distinction that apparently escapes the theocrats, intellectually challenged and cretins among Christianists and Mormons. We are not talking church weddings, temple weddings, etc., but CIVIL law marriage that afforded the same sex couples CIVIL LEGAL rights and protections for their families - not that these folks give a damn about LGBT families.
*
The other point that the writer conveniently ignores is that the parties who launched Proposition 8 and then co opted the LDS (which willingly joined in to apparently attempt to prove Mormons are Christians) never were out to "protect marriage." Their goal was and always has been to keep gay Americans inferior under the civil laws as a way of punishing them for not following the Christianists' religious beliefs and in order that they could then use that legal inferiority to justify their bigotry. It's a huge con game that the sheeple always seem to fall for time and time again.

2 comments:

NG said...

Now they're to claim they're victim's of hate crimes, you knows the one they find unconstitutional.

Ultra Dave said...

I think the first front of attack should be to remove "By the power invested in me, by the state of---" from the religious ceremonies. That should help clarify a few things for them.