Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Gay Voters and the Presidential Election

I truly do not understand what mental deficiency plagues LGBT voters who cannot see that as between an Obama/Biden ticket and a McCain/Palin ticket, little or no contemplation should be required to determine that Obama/Biden is the clear better choice. Oh yes, I have had readers comment that they worry about THEIR tax rates/wallets even though the Obama proposal benefits far more Americans, most likely including these self-centered individuals. Then again, perhaps now that the Bush/GOP economic program and deregulation model have caused the value of their investments to plummet, maybe voting Republican doesn't look so great anymore to these folks.
*
365gay.com has some quotes from various Republican and Democrat surrogates that, if read thoughtfully, underscore that the GOP and its candidates are basically the enemies of LGBT citizens despite their protestations to the contrary. For me, there are more important things in life than money and owning "things." Being treated as a full citizen and protected from religious based discrimination in employment are two things that immediately spring to mind (LGBT Virginians currently have ZERO protections). I want something more than being "tolerated" by the Sarah Palins of American society. And I surely do not want those in power who describe my life and loves as a "lifestyle." Is breathing, thinking, feeling love, a leading one's life a lifestyle for straights? I think not, and neither is it for gay Americans. To me, the minute someone uses the word "lifestyle" it tells me all that I need to know to realize that they are insensitive bigots.
*
In the remaining weeks of the campaign season, I hope other gays will figure out who is the better choice as I have. Meanwhile, a number of my friends and I will proudly drive around with out "GLBT for Obama" bumper stickers on our cars and place Obama signs in our yards.

1 comment:

Michael Crawford said...

A great place for people to get info on the stark differences between Obama and McCain on LGBT issues is www.lgbtforobama.com.

McCain has opposed every single piece of pro-LGBT legislation that has come his way.

Obama was a leader in passing the Illinois non-discrimination law which includes sexual orientation and gender identity, is on record as supporting the repeal of DADT and DOMA and has called for the passage of the federal hate crimes bill, an inclusive ENDA and the development of a national strategy to deal with the AIDS epidemic.