Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why Homophobia Must Be Defeated

Last night I did a post about a crazy wingnut comment that I had received in respect to yesterday morning's post concerning Google's public statement that as a corporate policy, Google was opposed to passage of California Proposition 8 and hoped voters would vote against the measure. The wingnut comment was full of the typical vitriol and hate and clearly demonstrated that the writer views LGBT individuals as less than human. In sharp contrast I received a comment from a reader today who lost a friend to suicide because he could neither accept being gay nor his parents' rejection of him. I too have lost friends to homophobia induced suicide and as a parent, I cannot grasp what kind of sick, twisted person could reject their child for being something about which they had no choice. It is sickening that these unnecessary deaths continue all because psychos like yesterday's wingnut writer seek to denigrate and destroy those who are different. Here are highlights from today's message:
*
This [Google's statement] is really - really something! I actually had tears in my eyes when reading it. Not certain as to why... Well, actually... I suppose it's the people I know who didn't have what I did... supportive families -- or all those who were never taught that courage is a MUST when standing up for what you believe in, even and especially when you (just) don't feel like it.
*
One thing that came to mind while reading this was losing a close friend of mine from Hilton Head Island who - because he was never accepted by his parents for just being who he was and because he felt so lost, he couldn't 'go on' anymore. His parents truly - put conditions on their love for him. And, if your own Mom & Dad don't UNCONDITIONALLY love you for who you are ...you know, I can't even imagine. I really can't.
*
And what about his parents? Do they realize what an incredible kid they cast away? The love he had for them and the yearning to be loved back EQUALLY - NO CONDITIONS? I mean, this was an amazing person who thought intrinsically about how to make the world a better place.
*
In the end, his jaded conclusion was hopelessness, darkness and despair; which (in his mind) left only one attainable goal - peace. No more fight, no more struggle - just peace. I wonder if he struggled in his last-ditch effort leaving him hanging, with a noose around his neck and well thought out letter to his family and loved ones.
*
What do his parents think when they hear this news about a leader like Google actually taking a stand in the name of love? Love, ladies and gents. Love. Brad Pitt just donated $100,000.00 towards Google's same initiative and stance and there are SO many others who have done the same. Bravo Google. BRAVO! I just wish there would've been behemoth companies like Google and people like Brad Pitt who had the respect and global influence four years ago that boasts the courage as we see more and more today. If there had been, maybe Jonathan, and a whole lot of other amazing kids would still be here with us.
*
Does yesterday's wingnut writer care at all about the thousands of lost lives because of haters like him/her? I doubt it. After all, it's all about THEM and affirming their hate and prejudice. If there is a God, I truly believe that such hate filled individuals will be in for a shock come Judgment Day. They callously leave a trail of death and ruined lives in their wake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a special place in Hell for those that spew hate in the name of God. Of that, I'm certain.


In high school, I attempted sucide. Thankfully, I was unsuccessful. While approval is welcome, it is required for me to live my life.

Anonymous said...

that should read "not" requored......no matter how much I proof read, I miss something every time.