Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Thoughts on the Gibson - Palin Interview

I have not commented directly on the interview of Sarah Palin by Charlie Gibson although I have quoted some of Palin's moronic answers to question posed by Gibson. A reader posed the following question to me:
*
I am surprised that you haven't commented on the interview ABC/Charlie Gibson did on Gov. Palin. I thought he treated her with total disrespect. I am no fan of her politics but he was so condescending it was hard to stomach. Republican nor Democrat should be treated like that. There are 1500 emailed comments on the ABC site for Charlie. They lambasted him. I have always liked Charlie but he did himself in. This is going to backfire bigtime. Just wanted to get your thoughts.
*
I have not read the entire transcript, but from what I have read, personally, I think it was fair and I am glad that Charlie Gibson was tough on Sarah Palin. My big fear was that he'd be pathetic and have the interview turn into a puff piece favoring Palin. This woman could end up a heartbeat away from the presidency and if she can't take some tough treatment, then she'd best drop off of the GOP ticket. As for the "1500 comments," having tracked the way the Christian Right organizations work, I strongly suspect that a campaign was mounted to go after Gibson for not kissing Palin's ass and giving her an easy pass. The Christianists see in Palin a religious fanatic as nutty as themselves and I assure you that they will lash out at anyone who doesn't fawn all over her.
*
As for disrespect, by selecting Ms. Palin, John McCain showed incredible disrespect for every thinking American and smart intelligent women in particular. I am not anti-woman and I have two highly intelligent and talented daughters - the younger has activist tendencies (can't image where she got that from) - who are everything Sarah Palin is not. Frankly, with NO political experience either one of them would have been a more competent selection than Sarah Palin. At least they are not crazy and they follow world events and politics outside of their home state. Ms. Palin has shown herself to be a near pathological liar and the woman needs to be exposed as such as well as a religious fruitcake. I would also add that given Palin's anti-gay views, her selection was nothing less than an irreparable insult to LGBT Americans on the part of every member of the GOP.
*
P.S. Even Mary Matalin said of Gibson, “He did as good a job as anyone in that situation could do.”

4 comments:

The Observer said...

I think the silence between the question and the answers speaks volumes. She is clueless as to what is going on outside of Alaska.

Ramesh said...

I too have not seen the entire Gibson/Palin interview - only news clips. I did notice in those clips that Gibson seemed to be a bit "peeved" or perhaps impatient. Call it condescending if you will. I won't argure with that.

On the other hand, given all the crap that's been floating around - the latest being her much touted "trip" to Iraq that, apparently, consisted of stepping into Iraq for a few minutes while she was in Kuwait - I beleive she deserves to be called on all this junk. Even if I thought that Palin was qualified to be VP, which I do not, any candidate for any office who exaggerates, lies and doesn't seem to undestand that lying is not a qualification for public office. The Republicans don't seem to get it either. Again this whole Palin process seems like a very orchestrated Karl Rove production.

As for me, I think Charlie Gibson should have called her out on her lies and ripped her to shreds. As for the media in general, in the face of distoritions, half-truths and lies they ought not to be fair and balanced.

Anonymous said...

I don't think she is clueless at all. I imagine she was caught blindsided as such by being his pick and being thrust into the national arena. I think she has handled herself pretty well considering the people who want to tear her down. I believe most people who viewed the interview would feel Charlie came across in a demeaning manner. Like I said, I don't like her politics but I believe everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Anonymous,

Palin shows no respect for others on whom she would force her religious views. As for gays, she appears to view us a sick and opposes our right to equality under the law. Respect is a two way street, and if Palin wants to be treated with respect she needs to start giving it to others. To date, she has failed miserably.

P.S. How about growing some balls and not posting as "anonymous"?