Saturday, September 06, 2008

Delicate Sensibilities - Update

Last month I did a post about how this blog - especially the male beauty photos - offends the delicate sensibilities of some members of the Equality Virginia Legends Gala Committee and Hampton Roads Business OutReach. No doubt, the last male beauty photo post will leave them with the vapors. While it was tedious, I have now deleted several dozen posts that directly promoted HRBOR and/or the 2008 Legends Gala. I will never again promote either organization directly on this blog. However, some posts remain that mention them since the posts talk about my personal activities, including attendance at events, etc. This is after all a PERSONAL blog where I talk about my life and views.
*
To me the ultimate irony of situation is that the Legends Gala's purpose (in addition to raising money for EV) is to honor LGBT and LGBT friendly citizens of the Hampton Roads community who have done the right thing or refused to deny who they are even though doing so ran against the sensibilities of significant anti-gay elements in the area. I can only assume that the complaining individuals have not fully over come the self-loathing inculcated into them by the very bigots the honorees of the event have refused to bow down to. I make no apologies about who I am or my sexual orientation. I am way past being fearful of what haters, bigots and fundamental religious fanatics think about me.
*
I intend to remain involved in HRBOR - God knows this area needs something to make the business community more progressive - and will complete my duties vis-a-vis the 2008 Legends Gala. After the event in November, however, I am leaning towards washing my hands of the future Legends Galas. Why work to put on an event when host committee members lack the guts of the honorees being honored. It's just a bit too much hypocrisy for me to stomach.

No comments: