Thursday, September 11, 2008

Have You Attempted Suicide or Know Someone Who Has?

365gay.com is running an online survey that I found both interesting and frightening. Here's the question and the response broken down into percentages as of the time I viewed the results:
*
Do you know an LGBT person who has attempted to commit suicide?
*
No. 29%
*
Yes, someone I know. 25%
*
Yes, me. 24%
*
Yes, someone dear to me. 21%
*
I could have answered yes in more than one category, but limited my response to the "Yes, me" category. It speaks volumes that so many respondents answered in the same category that I did. It definitely shows the posionous influence that living in a homophobic society seems to have on LGBT individuals. It also shows that much more needs to be done to reduce the number of those of us who at some point feel suicide is a viable option to the extent of attempting it.

No comments: