Monday, August 11, 2008

Appalachian Trail - 8/11/08 Update

Mount Katahdin (pictured below) with an elevation of 5,267 feet lies at the north terminus of the Appalachian Trail and is my son's ultimate destination. No direct word from him since four days ago, but by all reports the weather continues most foul and some thru hikers are quiting short of finishing the quest. Obviously, as a parent I worry, but know that he's an accomplished hiker and woodsman. From perusing the Trail Journals, it has been interesting to find references to my son in the journals of others and even in some photos that other thru hikers have uploaded. For example, in the journal of Shiloh, I found these references dated July 22, 2008:
*
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) operates a series of "Huts" along the AT up in the mountains. The huts are really very comfortable rustic solar and wind powered guest Lodges. The different huts sleep 30 to 90 guests each night and are staffed by four or more college kids who cook meals and educate guests about the ecology of the White Mts. The Huts serve full home cooked dinners and breakfasts "family style" every day and usually have soup and snacks at lunch. They have water but no showers and guests pack out their own trash.
*
There was a heavy rain around 3:00 Sunday afternoon as I came to the AMC Galehead Hut. My plan was to hike another 2.8 miles to the Guyot Campsites. The Galehead crew said they had a cancellation and that I could pay to stay for $89. A hot home cooked dinner and breakfast plus a dry warm bunk won out over setting up a wet tent on a damp rainy night. I had a great evening at Galehead meeting and chatting with the other guests.
*
Grasshopper and Breakman, Cricket, Bad Idea, and HighLife came in later that afternoon and the hut crew let them stay and sleep in the dinning room on a "work for stay". Stay for free in exchange for a few hours work cleaning up in the morning.
*
The morning weather report called for rain again yesterday. The crew radioed ahead and I was able to get a reservation at the next hut at Zeeland Falls. Again it started out sunny but it quickly turned into a seven mile hike in the rain. HighLife, Bad Idea, Cricket, and Old Man Sky came in later and did work for stay.
*
I am truly proud of my son's accomplishment to date. Naturally, I hope he's safe - and dry and warm too. I love him very much.

No comments: