Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lately Gay - A New Resource Blog

I received an e-mail today from a reader who has started a new blog called "Lately Gay" which aims to be a resource for older gays. Here's a part of Stephen's message to me:
*
My name's Stephen and I'm starting a new blog space in the UK aimed as help-point and magazine space for the 'lately gay' generation. One of the sections for the site is 'My Story' and I wonder if you would mind my quoting some extracts from your blog.
*
The following is from the opening introduction to Stephen's blog, and I have to admit that there have been times in the past that I felt that I had come out too late and that perhaps suicide would have been the better course (in fact, I actually tried that approach in one particularly dark moment). That phase has passed, but coming out in a social group that places extreme focus on youth and beauty makes it very hard for older guys to make the transition. Here are those introduction highlights:
*
This is a community website dedicated to older gay men, and in particular, those who have come out in their middle or later years. "LG" is a forum for members to meet, share their experiences, offer advice to each other and gain support in the complicated world of the UK's gay scene. The gay community is a completely diverse mixture of ages, social backgrounds and family make-ups, but too often the focus of media coverage is concentrated on the 18-30 set. What about the guys who are only coming to terms with their true sexuality in their 40s, 50s or 60s upwards? Too often they can arrive feeling like they're late for the party and with hardly any formal or even informal support aimed at them. And all this, no doubt, in the turbulent wake of a marital break-up.
*
If this description strikes a chord with you and sums up where you find yourself at moment then, please, do come in and make yourself at home. This is a fledgling venture and may well be a little shaky as it takes shape but stick around and most importantly tell your friends about us. Within these pages you'll find the opportunity to tell your story, get a few things off your chest and discover that your are not alone.

No comments: