Saturday, July 26, 2008

Appalachian Trail Update - 7/26/08

My son continues to make steady progress on his adventure hiking the Appalachian Trail. The photos below were taken in the Presidential Mountain Range of the White Mountains in northeast New Hampshire. A view of the mountains from virtual earth can be found here. The lower photo is at the summit of Mount Washington at an elevation of 6,288 feet. My son's comment is that the winds at the summit were over 40 miles per hour - i.e., near tropical storm strength. The second photo is at the summit of Mount Madison which has an elevation of 5,366 feet and which is located somewhere between 5 and 10 miles north of Mount Washington. By my rough calculations, he has covered approximately 1,795 miles since he began the venture in Georgia. I continue to be so very proud of him.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's his trail name? My guy is on the trail too near Mt Washington going NOBO.