Monday, April 21, 2008

Appalachian Trail - Update

My son has uploaded some more photos as he continues north along the Appalachian Trail. He is currently headed up the section of the Trail that runs along the Tennessee/North Carolina border and has encountered some snow and cold temperatures (18 degrees F in the photo above). Among the places he has traveled through with other through hikers is Clingman's Dome, the highest point along the Appalachian Trail and which provides a 360ยบ view of the surrounding mountains and an average viewing distance of about 22 miles and, on clear pollution free days, maximum views of as far as 100 miles into 7 states. As the photo indicates, viewing conditions were less than perfect, not to mention frigid.
*
I am very proud of my son and while I initially had reservations about this adventure (I suspect most parents would), I am very happy that he has undertaken the hike and believe that he will learn and experience a great deal in the process. "Playing by the rules" and doing what's expected of you often leads to a dull and unfulfilled life - I did that for most of my life up until the last few years. I am proud that my son is setting his own course instead of living someone else's life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He's making great time, already in TN/NC. From the look of the photo, I bet he knows how the folks in early expeditions of the US felt.

You can keep that 18 degree cold though. What great views he's had.

Oh, and Dad, you're Pride in your son is beaming through my computer screen (lol).