Sunday, January 13, 2008

Virginian Pilot Subscribers in Revolt Over Robertson Talks

I previously posted about Pat Robertson's announced interest in buying the Virginian Pilot, the sole newspaper for the south side of Hampton Roads and northeast North Carolina. An area with approximately 1 million residents. To say that local residents and subscribers are NOT PLEASED would be a bit of an understatement. Robertson is NOT popular in this area and has been said to have about a 70% negative rating in opinion polls. Should Robertson buy the paper, I would think advertising revenues will drop sharply as people stop buying the paper. Here is a sampling of letters to the editor on this topic:



I was dismayed to learn that Pat Robertson is considering purchasing The Virginian-Pilot (Business, Jan. 11). I have been a loyal subscriber for more than 20 years, but will immediately terminate my subscription if Mr. Robertson is successful in his efforts. It would be too painful to see our hometown paper become just another outlet to spread his biased and self-serving viewpoints.

Pat has the right to speak his mind, even if it is over the right field fence and past the parking lot. That however becomes a major problem for news if the only newspaper in the region is bought by one of the most ignorant (read lack of understanding and knowledge), mean spirited, and divisive figures in our country. But if it happens, then the market will take care of it. I will be another multi decades subscriber who will cancel my subscription as many others will and hopefully many advertisers as well.


I can pretty much see the writing on the wall. Well, there goes journalism. Unless of course he buys the Pilot and merges it with the CBN center for "religious news" just like state run news in Iran. Oops...sorry. I didn't mean to portray Pat and his groups as "one sided."


Should Robert$on buy the Pilot I will cancel my subscription of 40+ years immediately. The last thing I need in my life is the ramblings of a delusional theocrat. To place this descendant of a newsheet from our early history into the hands of those who routinely lie about the beginnings of our country, and those who subscribe to science and rationality, if not a crime against humanity becomes at least a travesty in the realm of journalism.


I certainly hope that someone else saves the paper from Robertson's grasp.

No comments: