Tuesday, January 15, 2008

An Interview With Adam Bouska - Part One


I have from time to time posted photos taken by Adam Bouska [pictured above], who in my opinion takes amazing photographs that are frequently erotic yet very tasteful and sophisticated at the same time. Through this blog I have had an opportunity to communicate with Adam, who has kindly submitted answers to a few questions and who is willing to answer follow up questions. Before getting to his responses, here is a little background on Adam via Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Bouska):
Adam Bouska (born October 31, 1983 in Decatur, Illinois) is an American fashion photographer who runs a photography studio based out of West Hollywood, California. He is known for pictures of male models in particular, and is considered a rising 'superstar photographer' in the gay community. His work has been printed in DNA Magazine and reFRESH and has already been featured at major websites, such as Amazon.com and www.tenpercent.com. Bouska's most recent model, Ryan Barry, is noted as being the boyfriend of Reichen Lehmkuhl. He is also noted for his work with America's Next Top Models; Bre Scullark, Amanda Babin, and Michelle Babin. Bouska is openly gay. He lives in West Hollywood, California.

Here are the questions I posed to Adam and his responses:

1. It is my understanding that you were a model before moving into photography? How did you first get into modeling? Modeling was never an aspiration of mine. I was actually approached by a photographer to pose for him for a project and I reluctantly agreed. I ended up really enjoying myself and posted a few photos online and it seemed to grow from there. Any chance I could get to be a part of a photoshoot I'd be all over it.

2. What prompted you to make the transition from being the model being photographed to the photographer taking the photos? Creative differences. Working on more and more photoshoots I felt the need to express my own creative side. I would constantly clash with ideas in composition, setup, ward drobe, post production, etc. I wanted more control, so I decided to give it a go.
3. How do you select models for your photo shoots? There really isn't any particular rhyme or reason. I'm referred to a lot of people through other models, agencies, online sites, and through friends. Usually I just look for a good combination of face and body with nice skin :)
4. Do you have models that you find particularly good to work with? There are a few regulars that you may notice make many appearances in my shots. There are a few models I have found that have no limitations and trust my judgement. It allows me to do more, without worrying about making anyone uncomfortable.

5. How do you come up with the poses and lighting combinations for shoots? There are many ideas I have and when I find the right model and location, the rest just happens. Poses and lighting aren't as planned. I trust that once all the elements are brought together, not planning it will make it appear more natural.

6. What are your favorite types of photo shoots? Edgy, fashion forward. The more complex the better. I like things that are extreme and push the limit. I'm all for controversy, while keeping it classy and tasteful. :)
Anyone with follow up questions for Adam, please send them to me via e-mail. Various links to Adam's work are as follows:

No comments: