Friday, January 18, 2008

Attorney Job Dissatisfaction

I regularly get contacted by attorney "head hunter" organizations with promises of a new/better job if I would only use their services. Their promises, of course, generally only have a chance of working if you have been out of law school 3-5 maximum. After that point, unless you have loyal national clients who would follow you, you are basically trapped geographically and only have finding an in-house counsel position as a means of escape. With so many unhappy attorneys, needless to say, competition for such positions is intense.
One thing that these sales pitches do comment honestly about on occasion is the huge number of attorneys that HATE being attorneys (I know that I do). Hence, I thought I'd print this portion of a message I received today which is accurate based on articles I have read for the benefit of all those think about a career as an attorney:

As a former practicing attorney, I know that finding the perfect legal environment can be a challenge. In fact, some polls estimate that over 70% of all attorneys wish they had never went to law school.

For all of you out there, my advice is read and heed this truth.

3 comments:

Java said...

The thought of being an attorney frightens me. I've never wanted to go into law. But I had no idea that many attorneys were so dissatisfied in their professions. Why did you go to law school? What did you expect from law that is different from your experience in law?

Anonymous said...

thanks for the insight, michael.

my oldest son is considering law school, and he's uncertain about a legal career.

i've read a statistic on it elsewhere, but didn't realize it was so high. yikes.

adastra77ks

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Java,

I went to law school for two reasons: (1) I was a History Major and needed to do something to be emplyable and (2) due to parental pressure which, like staying in the closet for decades, was part and parcel with my living to please others rather than myself.

Don't get me wrong, there can be very rewarding moments and, ideally, at this point in my life I would love to be in-house counsel for a gay rights organization. Unfortunately, most of those positions are for litigators, which I am not.

The main problem with the profession is that it is all about money and client base. You can be a dishonet, nasty bull shitter with clients and will, therefore, be employed and make money. Honesty, integrity and true ability mean largely nothing in today's legal profession. I have been with firms that come close to the one described in John Grisham's book, The Firm.