Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day Thoughts

The last year has been pretty momentous for me - the horrors of the protracted divorce war, the decline of a committed relationship, work stresses and the occasional tribulations of living in a place far from the bright center of the gay universe. Yet, today I am finding myself pretty thankful for what I have. The divorce is complete, my son came through his recent bicycle accident largely unscathed compared to what might have been, things have begun to thaw with my older two children, and despite a horrid economy and real estate market, the law firm has stayed afloat to date (as the only openly gay attorney in the area, I REALLY want to have the firm be successful to spite some of the homophobes in the larger firms).
Today I will be spending Thanksgiving dinner with my younger sister's family, some of her in-laws and at least my youngest daughter. My contribution: wine, champagne and pecan and apple pies I baked from scratch. On my way over, I will be picking up my late father's 92 year old sister who is feisty as ever and quite a character - think Hyacinth on "Keeping Up Appearances" feisty. My nephew from Florida is in town too - his mother was my sister that I lost in 2001. It should be a nice day. Meanwhile, the rest of my siblings will be having dinner at my other sister's home in Charlottesville.
I hope all of my readers and cyberspace family members in the USA have a wonderful holiday and happiness today. Thanks for being there for me with your comments, support and friendships.

1 comment:

Java said...

What lovely thoughts. I'm so glad you'll be spending the day with loved ones. They sound like a fun group to be with.
I appreciate your positive attitude in all you've been through this past year. It inspires me.
Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.