Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Therapy

In light of what's going on in my divorce and other matters, I had a session with my therapist today. He is always a good source for an objective perspective, particularly since he himself divorced in mid-life after more than two decades of marriage. While he is straight, he has been down a somewhat similar path, particularly dealing with children who were set against him by a bitter estranged wife. The best advice he gives me is to not be controlled by my conditioning patterns and, while a response is needed to certain circumstances, it should not merely be a reaction based on past conditioning.


He is also a good one to remind me that while I may not like what is occurring at a particular time, feeling sorry for myself or fretting that what is happening is not fair does not face the issue and work toward a constructive and positive plan of action. He has seen me through some very dark times and severely chastised me for self pity, wanting to give up at times, and/or my past overdose episode. All in all, he helps me to endeavor to live in the present and not overly obsess about the future, not that he encourages me to ignore issues that need decisive action.

His analysis and the support of a few true friends and some of you readers has made me feel much more able to face things and not feel beaten down. I thank him, my friends, and those of you who have sent me messages of support and encouragement. Among my readers, I particularly want to thank Shawn for the e-mail he sent, both supporting me in my current travails and encouraging me to keep on blogging.

2 comments:

daveincleveland said...

hang in there michael, you are stronger than you think and will get through this.....and by all means keep up the blogging you have a true gift in this blog and should share it with everyone who reads this...if it helps just one person who is treading the same path as you then its all worth it buddy
hugs .......:)
dave

Anonymous said...

You are now true to yourself and this is a wonderful thing. Thanks for giving everyone food for thought and opening yourself up to the world. You have shown such great resilience and stamina and are a great role model by showing how to effectively deal with this whole ordeal. Way to go, my Man!