Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday Reflections

I spent last evening at the home my friend who just lost his mother. It was one of those times where nothing you say or do is adequate, so that in the last analysis, all you can do is be with them, share their grief and let them know that you love them. For me, it brought back memories and emotions of my younger sister's death to cancer in 2001, as well as losing my father last September. A combination of disbelief, numbness and sorrow. And thoughts of what might have been.


The mood made me decide to go to church today for spiritual soothing, if you will. The church itself is a work of art (the photo at left does not do it justice) and has a majestic peacefulness to it. As is always the case, the parish members are welcoming and truly seem to care about me - I am probably one of the parish's more high profile gay members - in a genuine way, and not at all judgmentally. In fact, I am currently working on the pastor to join HRBOR, since there are an abundance of LGBT members of the local community who long for a church home. I know I rant about Christianists, but there are actually some good Christians out there who are not hatefilled bigots. It's nice to encounter them since it is usually the hate mongers who get all the publicity.


To completely digress, one poster recently asked why I do the "Male Beauty" posts since so many of my posts are on serious topics. I guess I do it for a couple of reasons: (A) for readers who enjoy the "eye candy" and (B) because beautiful guys are as much God's handiwork as majestic mountains or a beautiful ocean sunrise. In classical Greece, the human form was considered beautiful and to be admired. I believe that was the proper outlook and I appreciate the beauty of a gorgeous face and/or body.


I realize that I may have rambled a bit, but with what has happened, it is one of those days where my mood is all over the chart.

No comments: