Saturday, June 16, 2007

Graduation

Well, the Graduation event went well last night. With 500 graduates in the senior class, and several thousand people at the event - which was held at the Virginia Beach Convention Center - I successfully avoided any contact with the estranged wife. Unfortunately, I did not get to see my other two children due to the size of the crowd.

We did, however, get to see Victoria, by exiting quickly and making our way to the door by which the graduates were exiting and waiting for her to come out. Thus, we were able to talk, snap some photos and give her our gift. We also saw a couple of her girl friends who have been out with Victoria and us in the past (we told them we want them to join us at The Wave some Saturday soon). Victoria looked gorgeous and so very happy. I am so very proud of her, as is Raymond (She was one of the honor graduates). Our mission accomplished, we headed out before we could run into her mother. The school puts on an all night party in a safe environment, so I have not talked to my daughter today since, know her, she did not get to sleep until after sunrise today.

I ran into one or two people I knew from the straight phase of my life [Gay Species has lectured me that it was a "phase" and not a "former life, so I will test to see if he reads this post] and all were pleasant. What was really a coincidence is that seated a few rows in front of us was a gay couple that we know somewhat but not overly well. It turns out one of them had a son graduating in the same class as my daughter and he was only a couple of students behind my daughter as they received their diplomas.

5 comments:

Pink Elephant said...

Congratulations to Victoria! And as happy an occasion it was, I can't help notice in the background of your post sadness that the situation with your former wife prevented you from celebrating with your family like you should be able to. My heart goes out to you if that's the case.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Thanks, Pink. True, I would have liked to have been able to celebrate with her more. But we will get together with her soon for lunch or dinner.

Plus, she and her friends do want to go out with us either some Saturday night or Thursday night to the gay dance club, The Wave, which is near our house in Norfolk. It is one of the few places kids under 21 can get in, although they have them marked and bracleted as under 21.

It is amazing that she and her friends are unphased by gays. She may be surprised at how gorgeous some of the gay guys are and that many would be assumed for straight out on the street.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

My congratulations to your lovely daughter. I can see why you are so massively proud of your children. I still think she will be the one who will bring everyone reconciliation.

I think that many of the younger generation who are allowed to think for themselves, and are not poisoned by their environment will be totally nonplussed by the GLBT community members. A recent conversation I was involved in, one of the younger folks in the group had such a basic "so what?" attitude about being around gay people. Now, if they could just pass that back up the line to their elders!

I hope you and Raymond have an absolute blast with your daughter and her friends for lunch, dinner, or a night out doing some dance floor aerobics :)

Now if we could just bottle their spirit and thoughts, and sell it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I am sure we will have lots of fun. Of her friends that have gone out with us or been over to the house, you are corrct. They have a "so what" attitude. So many kids are coming out in high school - even in this backwater - that it is changing the mindset off the younger generation. Time is on our side - hence the frantic behavior of the Christianists. They know time is on our side too and it terrifies them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read the post.