Saturday, June 02, 2007

Celebrate Diversity! Pride Challenge 2007


This was first posted by Kelly Stern at http://kellystern.net/2007/05/30/celebrate-diversity.aspx. He lives in Richmond, Virginia, which is about 90 miles from Norfolk. I suspect that he lives in Carytown, located to the west of Virginia Commonwealth University. I hope as many readers as possible will like wise post this message and photo and let Kelly know that the torch has been passed.


We have come along way,
but still have a long way to go.
Thanks to all those who have paved the way,
Some even gave their lives...
Keep their fight alive...
We won't forget!!


It is that time of the year again where I post a photo that shows the rainbow and ask everyone to pass it around in hopes of spreading the idea of diversity. It may not be as pretty as last years, but it is more of the point I am trying to make. This is a rainbow created by different forces in nature (a little sunshine, water and wind). Last year there were over 100 of you who participated in my challenge and this year I want more. As I find the picture on sites, I will link to that site here in this post. I will try and keep this post at the top of the page all month long with links to the other sites. This challenge is not just about being accepted as a gay man, but it is about societies around the world learning to accept people for being themselves... diversity. Gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, skinny or fat... we need to be a little more accepting these days. The world is a mean place, let's work to make it a little nicer by showing this colorful rainbow that formed thanks to the right angle of the sun and a slight breeze across the pond. Mother natures way of saying she approves of this challenge... shouldn't we all.


About the photo: It was taken by me, Kelly Stern, on May 25th, 2007 on my way to work. This pond/lake is located in Byrd Park in the city of Richmond, Virginia. Many locals refer to this as "Fountain Lake" for obvious reasons. It is also adjacent to the neighborhood that I live in, and refered to last year as the "All American Gayborhood" (see side bar of this blog). Please feel free to use this photo on your blog or website or MySpace page and encourage others to do the same. If you see my pic somewhere, let me know, so I can link the site to this post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for taking the challenge... I hope you have a great Pride Month!!!